Monday, September 5, 2011

Wandering in the famous rain of Galway

I set out today to learn every corner of Galway. It began to storm a couple hours in, but that is expected here. I didn't give up. It is a really neat little city with rivers and harbors around the outskirts. The streets are labeled a little bit better here thatn they had been in cork. I found a really neat bead shop and got Tori some beads as a Sligo ere, with the expectation of some neat jewelry coming out of it my way. I may have gone a bit overboard. I also found aroma sweaters, which are beautiful local made wool sweater, pretty penny for one however. I think I also may have found the cross I want to get for grandma as well. The shops closed by the time I made it back four hours later. I found the Spanish arc. I walked off the beaten path as well along the river shore past the arc where old sail boats are washed up on to the rocky beach. Makes for a very neat picture. Found all the hotspots that were suggested to me aside from belle book and candle which is somewhere along an unmarked street My only break in my wanderings was for a hot bowl of clam chowder and brown bread.
I take back that nothing here is worth the money regarding food. A lot of pubs have some great soup and it is always served with homemade brown bread, and inexpensively priced. I got clam chowder and the clams in it were huge. The vegetable shops are great too. The stuff is straight out of the ground covered in dirt. I got a potato, zucchini, onion and broccoli for two euro, with enough to eat for breakfast tomorrow, or bring on my trip to the Aron islands.
The hostel provides breakfast. I like the feel of the city here. It is described by locals
and in most things I've read as a little bohemian town. There are alot of old buildings and
stone building, and of course little cathedrals nestled in alleyways and around some corners.
The city center can only be walked thru and some streets a cobblestone. There's Live music
in all the pubs at night and neT little shops and galleries. Quit charming. Now that I've
made my dinner and hung my clothes up to dry off to listen to some live music. The sunsets pretty late here still, just past 8 and I did not realize I was walking around until so late. Farewell...love you

No comments:

Post a Comment