Monday, September 12, 2011

Edinburgh, Scotland

I can see now why the German boys I had met briefly in Galway said it was their favorite European city. It is enchanting. Edinburgh Castle looms over the city from a high mountain. All the buildings are beautifully decorated, and of older architecture. They are also suprisingly big. In the cities early history, many people who would travel here would think that they were in a large East Coast city. I left Dublin this morning, and the flight was relatively quick and painless. Right of the bus I hopped onto a city tour, because it was already close to four, and I reloads it was larger than the cities I have been to so far. I thought this would show me the hotspots quick, being that the weather was a little rainy and very windy upon arrival, and maybe I'd pass by and see where my hostel was. No such luck, but it was nice having the min attractions pointed out, and the brief history lesson. I found the direction, generally, that my hostel might be in and set off. I had my pack with me the whole time and was ready to lighten the load.
While on my walk I found a Scottland highland tour office, so fortunately I made my reservation, because they only had one seat for the next two days, and they pointed out my hostel. It was in a thin little corridor so I don't know if I would have found it. Brodie's backpackers. No Internet, and pretty basic...just a bed. Right across the street from parliament and right near the castle, also close to main street, Royal mile, the bus stop and across the street from my early morning tour, so cant complain. Royal mile is a really neat street, all cobblestone, and underground entrances to the castle. Where I am at is considered old town, and the other side of Edinburgh is a bit more modern. I will have to reference my notes from my tour, where I happily sat outside in the rain for the better view, to share some fun facts later.
There is a really cool Polish girl in my hostel, and we have found Internet together, and will probably go for and drink and food. She travels a lot, but is settled down for one more yer to graduate Cambridge. She just returned from southeast Asia, where she travelled for the summer. She loves meeting new people, so she was thrilled that someone sociable checked in. She also knows someone living here, near the university, so when I am back from my tour tomorrow, we my have a night out on the town. We both leave Wednesday, but she told me I should visit in Cambridge in november, I will definitely take her up, and maybe we could take a trip down to London. She also has a lot of connections from traveling around Europe, and a number of friends on couch surfers, so she may be able to help me with some alternative accommodations to hostels. I'm thrilled to be going to the highlands tomorrow, and am doing the nine hour trip, which will take me all the way to loch ness, and a lot of other beautiful scenic spots.
Internet is inconvenient here, but if I am out on the town, and have access I will try to get in contact. Love you guys. Farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment