Thursday, November 3, 2011

Amsterdam to utrecht

Amsterdam is a different place.  Yoram, the kid I met with Aleks in Scotland came into town to meet me.  He thought it necessary.  Nice again to not have to think.  Right as you walk in from the train station, tacky florescent lights and and coffee shops lining the streets.  The red light direct is also down the side alleys and along and behind this strip along the canal.  I stayed right in the heart of it.  Literally in I went out the back door of the bar connected instead of the front I walked into a line of glass windows with have naked girls.  It's interesting, I'll explain later.  I checked in to the White tulip, Fu I'd stands were scattered throughout the streets and in the flower markets being the national flower.  I walk through the squares like Dom square, the bright shopping streets and to another square where restaurants coffee shop and bars all conveniently locate themselves.  We had a bite to eat then I convinced yoram to really wander around the red light district with me.  The outskirts near my hostel I didn't mind alone but I wanted to get into the nitty gritty.  Fascinating.  They really are like telephone booths inside a building with a curtain.  If they're at work the curtains are closed, if not they stand against the glass selling themselves.  Men stumble in and out.  I thought it was a bit gross at first but it is very professional I guess.  No kissing or sensuality, just get off and get out.  Really exactly the same as if a guy were to have a one night stand.  I mean for all he knows she could be just as dirty as a prostitute.  If you are alright with one night stands then a prostitute would actually be a more responsible decision in this case.  These woman are actually checked regularly, and have there own unions for there business.  It is very sterile, with cleaning supplies and condoms provided.  Some buildings have been shut down because illegal trafficking had infiltrated, but the whole point of this legality of it was to prevent this sort of crime.    You can't really notice many blank spots though.  I roamed the streets a bit after yoram left.  Checked out what the coffee shops are about.  You literally do walk in and there's a menu and you order what youd like.  Get a supply or you can just get a joint.  Quite interesting as well.  Also, tack neon lights pointing out magic mushroom shops.  The city is small.  Just a few square and spanning outward in a pie shape from there, with old canals running through. This is a common theme of old cities in the Netherlands.  They serve little purpose now,  besides the people who live in broken down boats in the canal.  They have working ladies come in and out too. Kind of like harbour hags.  Again really no different then having a random girl go home with you on your boat.  A lot like some of the disgusting men in the harbour I live in back that take random girls to the boats. They've convinced themselves that its more morally just then taking them back home when in reality it's exactly the same, and equally as repulsive.  I'd hate to be stuck with one of them.  Amsterdam in all is a very contrasting city.  You still do get the sense that it is primarily touristic, which is why I went to Yoram's town of Utrecht to get a genuine Netherlands experience.
     The next morning I set off for some sight seeing.  Hit up the Anne Frank house, then wandered around the park a bit....anyways.  Then found museum square.  Someone at the train on the way in had offered yoram and I his museum cards, so I got in for free to the van gough.  It was another typical, paintings on the Walls people contemplating, gallery museum, but there were some of his most famous works and a lot of descriptions about his life.  I then just wandered and saw some of the squares, hit up the coffee shops, ate a lot....waffles are so good there with ice cream.  Yea baby.  I got a walk to the train station by the nice guy working at the hostel, getting off shift, then of to Utrecht, where yoram awaited me in the train station after his work. I'll let you know how that went. And hopefully get along to finishing London. Getting a bit lazy with this I must say

No comments:

Post a Comment