Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Croatia, escaping to the island Krk

So after kicking through Bosho's door when the handle fell off in the bathroom,  I threw some money on the table, packed up, and headed of to Krk.  Probably the best decision I could of spontaneously made.  It is the coolest little town right on the ocean.  Decided to stay most of my time here.  I think I'm the only person in this romantic old roman town however.  There is no where to eat that is not sitting down, hence the reason I  sit  here by myself ordering off a menu I can't read in the cheapest little restaurant.  
Krk still has all the rock walled streets from the time of roman occupation, and the original bell tower.  the streets seem more like sidewalks than streets at all.  My hostel sits on top of old town.  I have my own room and my balcony can overlook the ocean and faces the sunset.  It's incredible really.  Yesterday I just spent the remainder of the the day after the bus trip roaming the town.  I signed up for an island excursion to Pag and some of the other islands for tomorrow.  All along the Adriatic coast from the town are little bays.  I just went to the first little swimming spot at the edge of town yesterday.  They grind out some flat spots in the stone to lay here and there and some ladders so you can get in and out.  The sea is so clear with teal and emerald green tints.  You can see straight through it even looking out fifty yards.  The sun sets behind the town and you can watch from and of the shores.  I must say this is probably my favorite town so far.  
   Today I walked all along the shore.  It was little bay after bay.  There is a neat little path all along the way.  Observations I've made were a lot of spedo s and naked topless old ladies.  After covering the whole coastline, I found myself my own little nook to sunbathe in the buff myself.  So relaxing haha.  Even if people walk by there is no second glance.  Hey everybody s doing it.  Nudity is not a concern here.  I have also made an observation that there are a lot of stray cats.  I have a few buddies I pass by regularly.  They always run up to me like I'm the creepy cat lady.  There is a big grey tiger cat that is always posted up on the path going to the first bay.  I've passed by him a good ten times now.  He walks with me.  There is another mangy yellow tiger that looks like something has been eating at it's face near the shop I always walk by from my hostel.  He just wants love but he kind of feels like straw.  Then there's a little frisky black one near the beach.  I really need to get out of the habit of playing with stray cats.  The little black one reminds me of Luna my little stray boat kitty.  There are neat little lizards with green stripes that scurry all around while i walk along the paths in the woods near the beach.  This place is tiny and the routes to take through the winding streets are limited so I walk by the same ten shop owners everyday.  They probably have started to think I'm just walking in circles.  I also ran into the german family from night one.  They are at the same hostel.  I see the same Swedish couple on all of my walks as well.  A lovely quant town. I really dig it.
   I am checking out in the morning, leaving my bag with the hostel and heading back to Rijeka for a night train to Zagreb tomorrow.  Not after first going through Slovenia again...oh boy.  I get into Zagreb at around4:30 so I'm going to nap with my bag for an hour or two then catch the first bus to the national park to hike the lakes and waterfalls.  After that is my long journey by night trains two days in a row to Greece.  Try to get ahold of you guys before embarking on that journey.
In case none of you realized, there is a map of where I am in the corner or bottom of these. Peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment